Botox or Skin Needling
Which is the best anti-aging facial treatment?
What is the best anti-aging treatment between botox and skin needling?
This question is the most commonly asked question that we receive from new clients.
The below blog (written by Scott for Simple Skin Needling), aims to compare the differences between botox and skin needling treatments.
Message from Scott: This is the question that people ask me to answer the most! To be honest with you, I hate this question! I don’t hate it because of how often people ask me this question……… I hate it because it is asking me to compare two different treatments that are not even closely similar at all. What I really would like to be asked from new clients, whether:
- Is botox better than skin needling when it comes to pain
- Is botox better than skin needling when it comes to how quickly it starts to work
- Is botox better than skin needling when it comes to how many treatments are needed when you first start the treatment
- Is botox better than skin needling when it comes to how long until a top-up treatment is required
- Is botox better than skin needling when it comes being a Natural Treatment?
- Is botox better than skin needling when it comes post-treatment recovery times?
- Is botox better than skin needling when it comes potential negative side effects?
- Is botox better than skin needling when it comes being a healthier and more natural skin treatment?
I would prefer to receive detailed and specific questions (like the examples above) because then I provide a detailed and thorough reply.
Our Short Answer:
It is IMPOSSIBLE to rank Botox or Skin Needling as a better treatment than the other – BECAUSE they are both uniquely different treatments. Both Skin Needling and Botox Injections offer anti-aging benefits for the skin. Alot of clients seem to think they need to pick one treatment instead of the other.
NEWS FLASH: it doesn’t need to be a matter of choosing botox or skin needling – it could be that based on your circumstances you may need both Botox AND Skin Needling Treatments in a well designed plan. We can help you with this in one of our free initial consultations.
We have created the below table to compare the key differences between Botox and Skin Needling Treatments.
- Starts working after 1 treatment
- Top-Up Maintenance Treatments required every 3-4 months
- Botox is a Neuro-Toxin
- It paralyses muscles to stop them from creating lines and wrinkles
- Don’t change the texture or fullness of your skin
- Results last between 3-6mths then another treatment is needed.
- Must be administed by a Doctor or Nurse
- You can appear swollen at the injectioThe skill of the person performing the injection is vital to minimise the risk of negative side effectsn sites – and make sure you follow the post treatment instructions to avoid paralysing the wrong muscles!
- You can appear swollen at the injection sites – and make sure you follow the post treatment instructions to avoid paralysing the wrong muscles!
Skin Needling Treatments
- 3-4 x Treatments spaced 2-6 weeks apart to begin with
- Top-Up Maintenance Treatments required every 6-12 months
- Needling initiates your body to produce more collagen
- Increase collagen leads to more elasticity which reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles
- Boosts skins texture and fullness in addition to addressing lines and wrinkles PLUS scar tissue
- Results continue to improve for 12 mths and to maintain only 1 x treatment is required
- Can be administered by anyone
- However the more skillful the therapist can impact your recovery time
- After the treatment you will look sunburnt for approx 1-3 days
Which is the most “Natural” option: Botox or Skin Needling?
Is Botox a Natural Treatment?
Botox Injections are sourced from a neurotoxin that is known as botulinum toxin. Neurotoxins are substances that block, inhibit, destroy and/or impare the functioning of neural tissues. This means, they have the ability to negatively impact the neural functioning of our body.
And because Botox is a neurotoxin, this means there are significant risks in receiving botox injections.
Drooping Eyelids can occur with botox injection because of poor injecting skills, or the patient failed to follow the post injection care steps. If this occurs you will have to wait 3-6mths to be able to regain the use of those muscles.
Double Vision can be another negative side effect of botox injections., this would occur when the neurotoxin impacts the muscles that control how your eyes focus on objects. If this was to occur, you will need to wait for the effects of the botox to wear off before being able to regain the use of those eye muscles.
Difficulty Swallowing and Speaking can occur with Botox Injections, if this was to happen please call for an ambulance immediately!
You notice a feeling of weakness and respiratory failure can occur with Botox Injections, if this was to happen please call for an ambulance immediately!
Is Skin Needling a Natural Treatment?
Skin Needling Treatments involve creating a controlled injury with tiny needs that tricks the body into producing more collagen. Skin Needling can be considered a more natural treatment compared to botox – because skin needling does not involve injecting a neurotoxin into the body.
Skin Needling is also a great way to increase the effectiveness of topical care treatments. Therefore, it is important to make sure you only use SAFE topical skin care products that you use on your skin for the initial 2-3 days after receiving a skin needling. Contact Us and we can help you to choose the best skin care products based on your situation and also budget!